Thursday, July 24, 2008

Mixed Emotions

Well, I am about a month and a half close to two months on the job here at Corinth Christian. For the most part things are going well. I'm enjoying people, making new friends, watching new movies, getting settled in a house, learning to cook, and being domesticated. I'm getting used to life as an adult.
Last night at youth group two things happened. First, before it started, three girls from the group gave me a not that was filled with encouragement. They all said that I was doing a good job and they enjoyed having me here and that they hoped that I was enjoying myself and liking them as well. That felt pretty good--to have someone tell you that you are awesome.
But then later in the middle of youth group, I was preaching and right after I made a historical claim, I heard someone whisper (but loudly) "that's not true." Now, if it was just an ordinary kid, it wouldn't have made me nervous. The problem is, this kid is super smart, probably on the level of a genius. It really made me think hard about what I was saying. I trust this kids knowledge. It made me realize that I have to be on the top of my game and I can't just make a claim because it sounds like it should be true or because I read it somewhere. I need to make sure I've documented everything and done very careful study and research.
Now, it could have just been a misunderstanding between what I said and how they heard it, because I did a little more research today and I feel like I was right--it might have just came out wrong. Nevertheless, talking about Jesus and making claim for Him and in His name is a big deal.
All in all though, I am happy. I am learning new things all the time. They are stressfull to the max sometimes--people telling me that they want to do what they can to help. I don't know if they really mean it, or if they just want to keep an eye out. Plus, everyone has their own ideas about how things need to be done, or how they have been done in the past, and I've only been here a month. It's becoming more and more my home though. Last night at youth group, I was the most myselft I've been here yet. I was nice.
Anyway, enough for now, I'm going to go eat lunch!

No comments: